Friday, May 6, 2022

I don't usually compare the book to the movie, but...

 


I had seen this solid Carl Franklin thriller a few years ago. I recently read the book, and have fallen in love with Walter Mosley. I'm a big fan of Noir, Crime Thrillers, and trying to expand my reading of BIPOC authors.

Anyway, I did really like this, the second time. Only thing, I felt the book did do a better job of capturing the spirit of racisim that existed in post-war LA, especially from the point of view of the main character, Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins. I will literally watch anything that has Denzel Washington in it, and here he is smooth, savvy self-assured as Mosley's GI Bill homeowner-turned-factory worker. What we don't know as that in this, the first Easy Rawlins mystery, Easy is learning to be what he will become in future books, a Private Detective. Or "Private Dick" as Jennifer Beals's Daphne Monet almost spits out when she first meets our hero.

The direction is assured, the screenplay sometimes a bit creaky, but largely true to Mosely's novel. Some reviewers have pointed out that the film takes a bit of a left turn in the Third Reel. I kept waiting for a crucial scene in a remote hideaway (won't spoil it, read the book) but that is morphed into a shootout in a Malibu house.

Cast here is top-notch. I would say, perhaps, Tom Sizemore as the sleazy gangster Albright may be best. He kind of inhabits the role. Beals is just OK as Daphne. I suppose the issue I had was with her hair and makeup - and costume. I kept thinking they dressed and made up Faye Dunaway way better in Chinatown. Not sure what to make of the minor characters, as they mostly seem a bit cardboard. Was expecting more from Don Cheadle as Mouse. Mouse is a crucial character in the book, albeit one who, although talked about a lot only appears in person in the second half. Cheadle seems to be thoroughly enjoying the role, but I don't think he ever nails it. Perhaps I was distracted by the Gold implants in his teeth.

Overall, taken separately from the book, "Devil" is a good film. Enjoyable, and breezy. A great slice of post-war LA. If you read the book, or plan to, perhaps watch the film first. Must my suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment